David by Michelangelo

David by Michelangelo
David by Michelangelo is not Augustin

6 March 2014

Director's Journal Week 3 - 1

         Today (3 March 2014) is the first day that I join the class while this week is the third week of the semester. Why am I late? The reason is I was still unsure of what external elective course that I want to take for this semester and one day before the registration is closed, I registered this course. I hope that this course will help me to develop directing and screen writing skills as my interest toward movie grows recently. After having the lecture and watching the movie “Kill Bill”, I am distributed to the PSA group which will produce a short film to raise the awareness of domestic violence among people. The group leader or the director, Shinno, told me that the script of the short film and explained her ideas. I have shared my ideas with her and the other member. There are many things undecided and further discussion is needed. This is a good start for me and others.

         Since the short film is about domestic violence, I have spent some time reading on the domestic violence in the country we are living. According to AWAM (All Women’s Action Society), domestic violence occurs when a partner, former partner or family member attempts to control and dominate a person through violence, the threat of violence or other means of control such as deprivation. (cited from AWAM official website, http://www.awam.org.my/domesticv.html)

         Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Rohani Abdul Karim said there were 3,173 cases of domestic violence reported in 2010, with 2,522 women and 650 men being the victims.   

"In 2011, there were 3,277 cases, an increase of 0.03 per cent, whereby 2,462 of the victims were women and 815, men.  In 2012, the number of victims comprised 2,558 women and 930 men," she said after launching a campaign against violence against women at the southbound Sungai Besi toll plaza, here, today.” 
(cited from an article published on 12 October 2013, New Straits Times)   

There are some facts about domestic violence:
  •          The Domestic Violence Act was enacted in 1996 after more than a decade of campaigning by women’s organizations including AWAM, and other organizations.
  •      Under the Act, domestic violence includes: causing physical injury or placing the survivor in fear of physical injury; compelling the survivor by force or by threat to engage in any conduct, sexual or otherwise; destruction or damage of property; confining or detaining the survivor against her will.
  •         Under the Act, marital rape is not a crime.

  •     Domestic violence often takes many forms such as physical and psychological abuse. The latter includes put-downs and insults. This takes an emotional toll on survivors who may experience fear, stress, guilt and depression.
  •          Abusers often inflict one or more forms of violence over a period of time.

(cited from AWAM official website, http://www.awam.org.my/domesticv.html)


         The causes of domestic violence can be intake of drug and alcohol, environment, temper, early marriage, lack of religion and beliefs, lack of education and lost control of emotion.



If you are interested on domestic violence, here are some links for further reading:

AWAM official website 

Women’s Aid Organisation website (http://www.wao.org.my/Domestic+Violence_37_5_1.htm)




I also have watched some commercials or short films regarding domestic violence which I think can be our reference.




No comments:

Post a Comment